Sunday 24 July 2016

The first 6 months of the year - my favourites so far: part 3


Birds of Chicago - Real Midnight

I first discovered Alison Russell as part of the excellent roots band Po'Girl (Trish Klein and Awna Teixera) and J.T Nero through his superb albums with his band the Clouds. Birds of Chicago offers a fine combination of the talents of the two singer songwriters who also happen to be married. Add to this Joe Henry as producer and you have one mighty fine album. The record has been described as melancholy but never shoe-gazing. I've harvested tracks from this album for my playlists often. Standouts for me are Remember wild horses, Real midnight and Dim star of the palisades.

www.birdsofchicago.com

https://youtu.be/F-dGWMVYVUM

Susanna Rose - Snowbound 

Someone who describes themselves as writing poems and making them into songs has an appeal for me. Susanna Rose is one of those people. She started to learn guitar and write songs while residing in London in 2009. Back in Rochester, New York with some songs penned Susanna released her debut album. However it was 2016 that her music first appeared over my musical horizon. The album was recorded between 2014 and 2015 with the music coming together in her third floor apartment as the snow fell. Not a surprise perhaps that is acquired the title it did. 

Snowbound offers gorgeous acoustic music, maybe a bit of a Joni influence, but Susanna is very much her own person, a unique singer songwriter. I urge you to go and discover her music.

https://youtu.be/-6hcEmhb1Fc

Winter Wilson - Ashes and Dust

Kip Winter and Dave Wilson's last album Cutting Free was amongst the ten best folk albums for summer 2014 in The Telegraph. This new record from the Lincolnshire-based duo, who went full-time as musicians in 2012, has garnered many deservedly glowing reviews. When I was sent a copy of their album I found myself very quickly hooked. I would suggest it's worth buying the album for the song Austerity alone. Doreen and Joe and To hell with Monday morning are yet further reasons why you need to add this album to your collection.

Kip and Dave are lovely people too. They played a live session on my show in June and were great company both on and off air. I'm hoping they'll be happy to revisit the Quiet Revolution studio before too long.

www.winterwilson.com

https://youtu.be/V-vmv27CNCI

Carter Sampson - Wilder side

Carter Sampson is a new voice to me, one of my discoveries of 2016. Yet it's this Oklahoma singer songwriter's fourth full-length release. I admit I was sold early on after hearing the title song, after all anyone that references James Taylor has got to be good. From setting the bar high on the lead in track Carter holds the quality to the last note on the final song.  Heartbreak and the open road are clear influences on her songwriting through the album and she's assisted by another great country voice
John Moreland. Carter has earned comparisons to Emmylou Harris and Patsy Cline and while I can see those I'd also suggest that Nanci Griffith might be added to that list.  A pretty impressive list of classy country musicians to draw comparison with.

I like this album a lot and will be digging into it's riches further as the weeks and months progress.

www.cartersampson.net 

https://youtu.be/WFOAs71Htgk

Reg Meuross - December

Reg is a Somerset-based singer songwriter who was in the band The Panic Brothers and performed solo before releasing his first album in 1996. He's written many beautiful songs over that period of time. I was a massive fan of his England Green and England Grey album which came out in 2014.
His latest album December was recorded in London in a pretty short space of time, 2 days with Roy Dodds producing. His 1994 Martin guitar found in San Jose is key to this album. I won't go into the story here but have a look at Reg's website, the link for which is below.

I keep going back to December and always find another track I want to play. Current highlights for me? I'd go for When you needed me, The night, Man in a boat and I want you. Another day I could choose The day she never cried and The hands of a woman. Move to another day...well, you get the picture. It's an excellent album. Why not check it out and then start exploring Reg's back catalogue?

www.regmeuross.com 

https://youtu.be/yC5z0Y87BcY




No comments:

Post a Comment